Monday, June 25, 2012

Heron House Writer's Retreat


If you are looking for a peaceful environment to not only write, but receive honest constructive encouragement for your writing, I have a place I would like to recommend to you. It's called The Critique Cafe Retreats for Writers at Heron House and is located in Chandler, Oklahoma. Your hosts will be award winning children's and adult author, Anna Myers, who recently received the Arrell Gibson Lifetime Achievement Award for her 19 children and teen books, and published adult, children's, and technical writer, Pati Hailey.
Not only are these women hospitable, they know their stuff. I have been to Heron House many times. I always feel like I am going home and come away with a better manuscript.

Following is a review by one of their very satisfied writers:
"The pineapple is a symbol of hospitality and Heron House should have one over the outside door. As excited as I was to have 3 days and 2 nights to work on my writing under the guidance of real authors, I was a bit intimidated about spending that much time in the home of a stranger. But Anna’s is a delightful older house with plenty of space for entertaining and lots of comfortable chairs for visiting. Soon we were visiting with Pati and Anna like old friends.

Their critiques didn’t pull any punches – that’s not to say they were brutal but their honesty made their positive remarks much more believable. The negative remarks were learning experiences, filled with encouragement and tips on how to fix the problems. They also provided information about what to expect from editors, how the publishing game works, and money expectations. I can’t think of a single question they couldn’t answer, and I have a reputation for asking questions.

Pati led us in a guided meditation that changed my whole understanding of how to approach my current book from the protagonist’s point of view. It was a very AHA moment for me in several ways. I left Heron House having learned priceless lessons and knowing far better what direction I needed to go, but best of all, I made a real connection with two women, who I believe will be part of my future success as a writer."-- Evie Kalvelage

Check out the links above and make plans to schedule a writer's retreat soon. You won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. excellent post, helen. i couldn't agree more. anna and pati are a fantastic team and anyone lucky enough to spend time with them at heron house will come away from the experience a better writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been writing for a long, long time, but a couple of recent visits to Heron House helped me immensely. I also feel very much at home there. Pati and Anna are beautiful, intelligent women. Any writer who spends time with them will come away feeling great about herself and ready to write following the suggestions given.

    ReplyDelete