Saturday, October 17, 2015

First Acknowledgement

  

First Acknowledgement


     Last weekend, as a part of our SCBWI-Oklahoma Fall Retreat, we enjoyed a book signing session with our speakers and panel members. Watching my dear writing friends sign their published works made me smile. I couldn't be happier for every one of them: Linda Urban, Janee Trasler, Tim Jessell, Anna Myers, Tammi Sauer, Sonia Gensler, Pati Hailey. But when I stood in front of Sonia Gensler, to have her new book signed, I got such a surprise that I am still amazed by it. 
     She said, "You've read this book, Helen. Remember, at the novel revision weekend?"
     Several years ago, SCBWI-Oklahoma had a novel/picture book revision retreat at the Character Inn in Oklahoma City, OK. Those who registered were divided into critique groups with the assignment of reading the complete manuscripts of the other members before the weekend. We heard the wisdom of our editor speakers, then met in our groups to discuss. It was extremely helpful. Sonia was in my group and I always wondered what happened to that amazing manuscript she shared with us. Fast forward several years to the book signing and my conversation with Sonia. 
     "Yes, this is the manuscript you read. I even have your name in my Acknowledgements in the back!" 
     WOW! My first acknowledgement. 
     Thanks, Sonia. I can't wait to read the published product. Saving it for Halloween. :-)

     

No comments:

Post a Comment