Thursday, September 13, 2012

Show, Don't Tell Emotion

Do you find yourself repeating the same emotional body language in your writing? I do. On the present edit of my novel, I realized my character jogs, looks out the window, pushes through doors and panics, A LOT. If this ever happens to you and you draw a blank, consider a reference book a friend of mine recommended. It's called, The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression by Angela Acerman & Becca Puglisi.
One of the things I appreciate about this reference tool is that it not only gives me ideas of how to show emotion in my character's actions, but also shows me when I've chosen accurate actions for my character's emotions.
An extra plus, you can download it on your smart phone or electronic tablet for a very reasonable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment